The Roberts Dairy Building is “historical” in the sense that it is one of the older buildings in its neighborhood. For many decades, it was home to this prominent local business.
Roberts Dairy began operation in 1877. In 1901, William H. Roberts and Sons erected the Roberts Dairy Building. By 1920, the Millersville area had developed into a prosperous economic area, due largely in part to the success of Mr. Robert’s dairy. Later, in 1952, a garage addition was designed by Indianapolis architect Fermor Spencer Cannon, who is well-known for designing Butler (later Hinkle) Fieldhouse at Butler University, as well as other buildings in Indianapolis (including the sun porch at Tuckaway House). Built by Hall Construction, the dairy was in operation until around 1987.